Wednesday, August 12, 2009

POETS DIE YOUNG???

I found out by chance the other day that a survey took place back in '03 regarding the lifespan of a poet. Which is clearly bullsh**, in all seriousness this pisses me off because they cannot speak for all poets. Then I fell upon a link called crystallinks or something ran by a supposed "psychic" (yeah right) who has the nerve to spit out her unknowledgeable rants about poets. This is a quote taken directly from her article, 
"Most poets do not have the emotional stability nor talent to write or complete a book, so they pour out their pain in poems or short articles." 
And this one:
"Why do poets die young? Most dysfunctional souls leave early...one way or another, the pain becomes too much, further, they are prone to self-destruction in the first place."
She throws out her "assumptions" in harsh tones saying that we lack the ability to write a whole book?That's crap, she has no right to criticize when she's the one living in some delusional "psychic" world. Yes we do tend to lean towards death but we also fall under others like the beauties of the world, love, hope, faith, it goes on. I know that no one will read this because let's face it my two cents mean nothing compared to the rest of the world, but in all honesty, I am PROUD TO BE A POET, I am proud to say that I do fantasize of a more romantic lifestyle, I do believe in love and all it's glories, but I will not sit back and let this kind of crap be thrown around by people who have NO idea what hard work goes into being a poet. It's hard for me even after being published, worrying about how to get my book out, keeping up with whatever royalties I may receive, so on so on. 
Ellie, please be respectful, poetry has come such a long way, it's because of people like Byron, Dickinson, Keats, Frost that this world is at it's highest. We have their words to keep us going. Not "psychic" abilities.   

No comments:

Post a Comment